I’ve had a low grade headache in the morning, upgrading to bad at noon. Nausea. Flu-like aches and pains. But I still had to find a box for the bike, get it packed, and get it shipped.
I just threw up violently in the toilet. At least the bike is shipped. I fly out tomorrow at 1:46 pm. Just checked in, online.
UPDATE, 22-JUL-2017 12:14 EDT: Feeling about 80% well now, up from 50% this morning, so I’m updating yesterday’s post from the JAX airport.
I woke up feeling wrong. The motel was out of coffee, so I made my own from a coffee bag I had brought from a previous motel. Through the day, my headache and nausea got worse.
In the morning, I drove to Walmart to get packing tape and some groceries. I originally planned to get lunch at Ibex, and Ethiopian place near my motel. But I was feeling so ill, I decided to just go to Wendy’s and get a Frosty and Chili. Only ate a few spoonfuls of the chili, then had to lie down.
I drove out a little later to get a bike box (the UPS store didn’t have one that was big enough). Brought the box back, then had to lie down again. Got up at 5 pm or so, moving slowly.
When I got back, I lay down on the bed, again. Basically, from 7 pm to midnight, I just lay on the bed, fitfully trying to rest, and not doing very well. Then I decided to eat some fruit, thinking that I needed hydration, and simple food like fruit would stay down. Nope.
— picture of massive vomit in the toilet omitted —
From then until dawn, I tried again to rest, but it was hard. The room smelled funny, and it didn’t help that my T-shirt probably had vomit on it.
Theories on why I got sick:
- Ate some of the beef jerky from my front pack, which may have gone bad in the rain
- Ate hard pork cracklings – too much salt (hypernatremia).
- That big bug that bit me in the swamp in the nature preserve could have given me a virus
- After emptying my fuel bottle into the car, I left the open bottle in the car to purge it. Gasoline fumes?
- Other fumes that were in the car from the time I rented it.
- The motel may have sprayed bug spray on the air conditioner. I did see one roach on it the first day I got there
- The local man, Leon, with whom I shook hands outside the thrift store.
- The $6.99 shrimp boil
- Bad water in the motel
- Staying multiple days in one motel without riding in fresh air
Miles ridden: 0