I’ve had a low grade headache in the morning, upgrading to bad at noon. Nausea. Flu-like aches and pains. But I still had to find a box for the bike, get it packed, and get it shipped.
I just threw up violently in the toilet. At least the bike is shipped. I fly out tomorrow at 1:46 pm. Just checked in, online.
UPDATE, 22-JUL-2017 12:14 EDT: Feeling about 80% well now, up from 50% this morning, so I’m updating yesterday’s post from the JAX airport.
I woke up feeling wrong. The motel was out of coffee, so I made my own from a coffee bag I had brought from a previous motel. Through the day, my headache and nausea got worse.
In the morning, I drove to Walmart to get packing tape and some groceries. I originally planned to get lunch at Ibex, and Ethiopian place near my motel. But I was feeling so ill, I decided to just go to Wendy’s and get a Frosty and Chili. Only ate a few spoonfuls of the chili, then had to lie down.
I drove out a little later to get a bike box (the UPS store didn’t have one that was big enough). Brought the box back, then had to lie down again. Got up at 5 pm or so, moving slowly.
When I got back, I lay down on the bed, again. Basically, from 7 pm to midnight, I just lay on the bed, fitfully trying to rest, and not doing very well. Then I decided to eat some fruit, thinking that I needed hydration, and simple food like fruit would stay down. Nope.
— picture of massive vomit in the toilet omitted —
From then until dawn, I tried again to rest, but it was hard. The room smelled funny, and it didn’t help that my T-shirt probably had vomit on it.
Theories on why I got sick:
- Ate some of the beef jerky from my front pack, which may have gone bad in the rain
- Ate hard pork cracklings – too much salt (hypernatremia).
- That big bug that bit me in the swamp in the nature preserve could have given me a virus
- After emptying my fuel bottle into the car, I left the open bottle in the car to purge it. Gasoline fumes?
- Other fumes that were in the car from the time I rented it.
- The motel may have sprayed bug spray on the air conditioner. I did see one roach on it the first day I got there
- The local man, Leon, with whom I shook hands outside the thrift store.
- The $6.99 shrimp boil
- Bad water in the motel
- Staying multiple days in one motel without riding in fresh air
Miles ridden: 0
oh no! sorry to hear. get well soon. hope it wasn’t the $6.99 special at the crab shack! anyway, get some rest and have a safe flight back.
I’m back now, but still recovering. It was probably some kind of food poisoning.
Update: almost certainly food poisoning. Not gas fumes, dehydration, any kind of chemical in the car. Unfortunately, Merrianne came down with it about 2 days after I got home, as I was recovering. It’s not airborne, though, as neither of our children got it. Must be passed through contact or food handling.
I’m so sorry that your trip is ending so badly, with you so sick! 🙁
Well, if I was going to get sick, this was probably better than the middle of the trip.
Thanks for the omission of the picture glad your finally recovering.